“It was a very stubborn fire due to the building’s construction and many renovations completed over its lifetime,” Moore added.
He said crews were on the scene until 5 p.m. Friday.
The Edwardsburgh Cardinal crew received help from the Prescott Fire Department, which provided its aerial truck, and also got two tankers each from the North Grenville and Augusta departments.
“Although the building was left standing, it had to be taken down today and is a total loss,” Moore wrote. “The structure was too damaged to allow firefighters to safely enter to extinguish some smouldering materials.”
Moore said he did not have an estimate of the damage. “I can confirm that the building is insured, but I have no information on any of the tenants.”
The circumstances also prompted the chief to issue a reminder to area residents.
“Although the occupants at this fire were alerted by neighbours, it is a stark reminder of the importance of having working smoke and carbon monoxide alarms,” Moore wrote.
“Smoke alarms must be installed on every level of the home and outside all sleeping areas. Carbon monoxide alarms are required outside all sleeping areas if you have a fuel burning appliance or attached garage. Alarms should be tested monthly.”
This content was originally published here.