Ottawa Fire Services are once again urging resident never to put out cigarettes or other material in potted plants or garden beds, after a sudden blaze early Saturday threatened a 16-unit apartment complex.
Firefighters were called at about 6 a.m. to the complex on Innes Road. between Tenth Line Road and Dorima Street and found heavy smoke and flames coming from the rear of the building.
tap here to see other videos from our team.
Fire in balcony planter stopped before it could threaten apartment complex Back to video
Firefighters made their way to the front of the apartment while other crews battled the fire from the outside.
Crews managed to rapidly extinguish the blaze within about 15 minutes and stop it from spreading through the larger structure.
“The dry mulch and peat in (around) plants can smoulder for hours before catching fire and balcony fires can pose a serious danger,” OFS said in a release.
“Cigarettes should always be disposed of in a deep ash tray or a tin can filled with sand.”
There were no reported injuries.
This content was originally published here.