PEMBROKE — The College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario (CPSO) says it will not pursue allegations against Pembroke family physician Dr. Brian Baxter, who had been scheduled to have a hearing before the Discipline Committee later this month.
On Friday, April 30, the College held a brief virtual hearing to make the announcement where it was explained Baxter was resigning his practice and stepping away from medicine.
tap here to see other videos from our team.
College of Physicians and Surgeons won’t pursue allegations as Pembroke physician agrees to resign practice Back to video
“The College (of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario) is withdrawing the notice of hearing dated July 22, 2020, for the Dr. Baxter matter,” said attorney for the CPSO, Simmy Dhamrait at the April 30 hearing. “On April 23, 2021, Dr. Baxter signed an undertaking to the College in which he agreed to resign the practice effective May 31, 2021, and within that undertaking he has agreed never to apply or reapply for a certificate of registration in Ontario or any other jurisdiction.”
A summary on the CPSO website states that Dr. Baxter was referred to the College’s Discipline Committee on allegations of sexual abuse and disgraceful, dishonourable or unprofessional conduct.
The College posted a notice of hearing regarding the allegations on July 22, 2020, and following a College investigation Baxter’s practice was placed under restrictions by CPSO effective Dec. 15, 2020.
“In light of his resignation and undertaking not to reapply, these matters were not before the Discipline Committee and no findings were made,” the CPSO public summary concludes.
This content was originally published here.